Any natural/essential oil users in the group?
I just read that Castile soap causes build up in your drains because it does contain some oil in the ingredients. Both our Iron Horse Plumbing households are green households, our wives make their own hand soaps etc. using Castile soap.
Your drains are fine, just follow these simple steps every month or so to keep your drains flowing nicely.
Directions for Homemade Drain Cleaner:
- Remove all water from the sink or tub and pour about 1 cup of baking soda down the drain. Make sure that baking soda makes it down the drain.
- Next, pour about 2 Cups of boiling water down the drain. The baking soda mixed with boiling water dissolves the sludge and gunk in the pipe, even if you don’t see it happening. Wait a few minutes.
- Now, pour another cup baking soda down the drain then add 1 cup of white vinegar and plug the drain immediately. If you’re unclogging a double sink, plug both drains. You’ll hear sizzling coming up from the drain and see bubbles foaming up.
- When the bubbles have died down, add the remaining boiling water down the drain.
- Repeat this process if necessary. This can be used as a monthly treatment to help prevent future clogs too; simply pour a cup of baking soda down the drains followed by boiling water.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact Iron Horse Plumbing